Saturday, September 7, 2013

First Few Days

I've just arrived at my home for the next year and the last few days have been amazing! The first things I saw while flying over the country were the mountains, and they are stunning. I arrived in Quito at 8pm and met Diana, who stayed with the other exchange students and I while we were in the capital. At the airport I met four other students (all from Germany) named Elisabeth, Antonia, Benji, and Auguste. The first day we went to La Mitad del Mundo, where we stood on the equator.
 

The second day we went to the old city, which was  extremely beautiful. There are ancient churches and other buildings from the days when Quito and the rest of Ecuador were under Spanish rule.
 







We also visited El Convento de San Francisco, and the legend is that San Francisco made a deal with the Devil to sell his soul if the Devil would build the church for him in seven days. At midnight on the last day, the Devil had finished placing all but one stone, but San Francisco stole the stone and hid it from the Devil. The church was nearly complete and San Francisco got to keep his soul. They say that there is a hole in the church that can never be filled, because any stone that is placed there always falls out.


Today I drove with Elisabeth and Diana to Cotacachi, and met my host family for the first time. They are very warm and welcoming and my house is small, but very nice. We live next door to my grandmother and there is a small restaurant where my mother works that is an extension of our house. My father is away for work and is returning on Thursday. Everything is very overwhelming right now, but I know that when I adjust to my new life everything will be fine. Tonight there is a party in the town square and tomorrow is my last day before school starts. Right now I am unpacking in my new room. Hasta luego!

4 comments:

  1. ¡Buenos días Ray!
    Qué bueno que los primeros días en Ecuador te han pasado tan magníficos. Me gustaba leer especialmente la historia de la Iglesia San Francisco, con la piedra que falta y ver tus fotos en medio de la tierra.

    Cada viernes yo y la clase de español 3 vamos a visitar tu blog y hacerte unas preguntas y comentarios. ¿Qué te parece?
    ¿Cuál plato ecuatoriano has probado que te gusta más? Mencionaste que tu mamá trabaja en el restaurante que está al lado de tu casa.

    Nos hablamos pronto,

    Señora LaCross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Querida Aurelia,

    Pienso que eres un persona muy fabulosa. Parece que te gusta Ecuador. Estoy emocionada para tu experiencia. Necesitas escribir mas. Los edificios son muy grandes y majestuosos. ¿El chico alemán fue guapo? ¿Tienes un novio? No te preocupes. ¡Te amo Aurelia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ray! Glad you have sweet host family and hope you have great time in Ecuador!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your having a fun time!! All the pictures you took look fantastic. Good luck in school!!!!!

    ReplyDelete